If holiday expenses are stressing you out this year, there are many creative ways to provide great gifts of giving and service. One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received was from an acquaintance who worked with pottery. She spun a petite plate, painted in three different shades of blue, which continues to serve me well today, as a decorative collector of coins, pens, barrettes, lozenges, and other small odds & ends. The clay, paint, and brushes…Read more
Wars and battles are always heartbreaking for both sides of any conflict. An admirable tactic of the Israeli military is that they often notify Palestinian officials before they strike a target so that casualties might be avoided. No one in the civilized world ever wishes to hear of civilian tragedies, so it is good to see precautions taken to avoid them. Of course, in clandestine operations, this is not possible but it is a respectable policy they attempt to employ.
It is hard not to…Read more
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves)
- 1 packet stevia
- 1/2 cup black coffee (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. nonfat whipped cream (Reddi-wip)
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot.
- Warm on Medium-High, stirring occasionally.
Recently, I lost, yet, another friend to a less-taxed, lower-regulated, more affordable state. It has been a hard year of on-again, off again sadness and loss, with 4 good friends escaping the high cost of California living and moving on to greener, more prosperous pastures. Two of them even picked "no income-tax" states: Florida and Texas. It feels like a little piece of me goes with them but I am constantly striving to see the bright side, and consider a glass-half-full approach. I'm working…
Well, I thought I was being so responsible to get a flu shot early this year. But it seems this year's strain is like no other! By early afternoon, I was aching and fatigued; soon after, a fever surfaced. I was so disappointed because I planned on an active weekend but I wondered if this vaccine really stuck it to me. I wiped out with a full-on case of mini-flu! Maybe it was just a coincidence that I took the vaccine at the exact same time I had been exposed to the environmental virus (it was an…Read more
Band members, Mike Dawes and Julie Ragins, distinctive musicians in their own right, magnificently contributed to the crowd-pleasing performance. Everyone in the audience left smiling, humming, and chatting up the rewarding experience they had with British humor, reflections, and a classic repertoire of all-time favorites.
It made me think how successful we could all be if…Read more
Photo: Diego Jimenez (Unsplash)
I was talking to a fellow who asked people he would meet that question. He was surprised with the different answers he received:
- The poor person in a shack said, "If I had that house up on the hill, I would be happy."
- The rich person in the house said, "If I had a loving family like those people down the hill, I would be happy."
- The lonely person on the park bench said, "If I had three good friends, I would be happy."
- And so on...
It got me to thinking. It's funny…Read more
Photograph by Daniel Gray
Here I am, happy to share with you my checklist of 5 steps to help enhance your love story:
- Have a clear goal in mind for yourselves as a couple: Make the marriage last! Even the best of relationships is work, so schedule time to do enjoyable things together - date nights or like-minded activities and projects. Remember to laugh and don't take yourself too seriously!
- Bring spirituality into the relationship: Research shows that body, mind and spirit are connected, therefore…
Is this a splendid Hollywood Bowl, 4th of July photo, or what!?! Are you looking forward to a July 4th holiday of parades, salutations, get-togethers, music, and fireworks - a celebration of America's independence and birth, as a nation, 243 years ago? The Original Founders were not stupid, stodgy, old Englishmen (as some have alleged) but were well-educated, community leaders, who were among the most brilliant thinkers of all time. They studied governments and societies, financial structures…Read more